Sunday, December 30, 2007

An Aya Uto Christmas: Silent Night and Christmas Cake


"Super Idol" singer and actress Aya Ueto sings Silent Night for a Softbank cell phone commerical. Don't miss the classic Japanese Christmas cake at the end!





As an American raised in a predominantly ethnic Italian influenced family, I had never heard of "Christmas cake" before traveling to Japan. I'm interested in knowing which cultures celebrate Christmas with cake. Please share your traditions with us in the comment section!

3 comments:

Abbey said...

I just saw this commercial the other day, as a matter of fact! I was a little upset because it's my favorite Christmas song... and it was turned into a keitai commercial but...

And they're surprised American pets get presents?!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Hi Melissa

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I notice, you don't live too far away from me, I'm on the Gifu edge of Aichi.

In Australia, we have Christmas cake every year, but it's nothing like the Japanese Christmas cake, instead it's a dark fruit cake covered in marzapan. I'm pretty sure it's been taken from the English traditional cake.

I also saw this commercial recently and hate it. She's trying hard to get the pronunciation right, but missing it.....

Anonymous said...

Aya Ueto video photo at Aya Ueto asia star