Monday, December 18, 2006

Gion Odori 2006: Acts Two and Three

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Act Two: Okome. Okome is the Japanese word for rice (before it is cooked). The geiko Mariko, dancing as a Shinto priestess for a plentiful harvest of rice in early spring. In January, maiko wear a stalk of rice in their hair to celebrate the new year.

Act Three: Shidarezakura. Shidare zakura (from sakura), or weeping cherry. Before the famous weeping cherries of Maruyama Koen, near Yasaka Shrine, an elder geiko awaits her true love until she is discovered by her younger sister .

Uh oh! She recollectin' ya'll! Reading an unusually long rabureta (love letter) in the absence of her beloved.


I know that correspondence is often recommended to encourage affection, but this is ridiculous sis!

Don't make me...

I love the beautiful bend of their hands, so limber and graceful. It reminds me of the Apsara dance of Cambodia...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any programs from the Geiko and Maiko dances you attend? I would give anything to be you for a day when you see the dances, sigh.
Happy Holidays! And if you celebrate Christmas, have a Happy Christmas Eve and Christmas day!

Lindizzy said...

Hey girl- I just showed ur page to my parents. My mom says to tell you that ur site is incredible. She is so impressed with how professional and interesting your photos are! I knew that already but I had to share w/her. P.S. have you backed up your work lately?

Melissa said...

Courtney: Of course! (^-^) I always buy programs when I attend the dances...If you'd like, I can get one for you next time! I hope some day you do get to see them for yourself (the dances). HAppy New Year!

Linz: Wow! I'm honored! That's a huge compliment coming from your uber-talented madre (^_<) Hmmm...Backing up my work...Now that's an idea...

Anonymous said...

Aw, you're too nice. I'll make it to Japan one day (fingers crossed). I need to just take a year off from school and travel :) I am going to Mexico this summer to study abroad. I noticed you talked about Spanish a little on your page, do you speak it?
Happy Belated New Year~